Saturday, February 19, 2011

Half & Half


I have recently learned that one of my brother's friends has just got married! What's so interesting about this couples is, he is half Irish and half Korean; whereas she is half Japanese and half Latino.

That was a beautiful mixture of her. She has got a healthy tan, a slightly high bridge nose, silky dark hair and beautiful eyes. He is tall, has fair skin color, nice black hair and with beautiful smiles. (Luckily both of them do not have the Asian kind of single crease eyes!)
I guess the next thing people are waiting for is to see the product of the Ireland-Korea-Japan-Latin huh? Which will make the baby a 'super' multiracial! Wow! How cool is that?

This reminds me on a book that I have finished reading a while ago. The title of the book is called Half and Half. It is a book that features the stories of writers on growing up biracial, multiracial, bi-cultural and multicultural. It is a very insightful book to read, I highly recommended it. Some people hated their biracial identities and tend to hide their backgrounds, some people take it as a benefit and advantage of them to succeed in their life. However some do not see it as a problem at all.

I guess the freedom of cross cultural and cross racial marriages has become more and more common in United States. That is what makes it a melting pot, a place where you can get everything you want! And soon to be, the word "American" will never be that "American" that we thought it was anymore.

Another thing to share which is related to cross cultural is a cooking program that I was watching the other day. There was this very thick South American accent chef, featuring how to make a refreshing authentic American salad. And guess what was the main green that he was using for the salad? It is baby Bok Choy! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cabbage) Oh well....I guess that really is an American Salad, isn't it?

Lastly, let me share a short clip about mixed backgrounds by Steve Byrne, who is a half Irish and half Korean. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment